WONG KAI YUN
HOME / OUR TEAM / WONG KAI YUN
Advocate & Solicitor
TEP, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers
Wong Kai Yun
Ms Wong Kai Yun graduated with a Bachelor of Laws from the National University of Singapore in 1994, and was admitted to the Singapore Bar as an Advocate & Solicitor in 1995.
In legal practice for the past 25 years, Ms Wong’s areas of practice include civil & commercial litigation, company law, corporate debt recovery, corporate litigation, directors & shareholders’ disputes, insolvency, matrimonial matters, property disputes, advisory work on company and commercial matters, agency and distribution agreements, asset and wealth management (trusts structuring), banking and finance matters, business development and structuring, corporate / company agreements, corporate governance & compliance issues for private & listed companies, estate and succession planning, franchising and licensing agreements, joint venture & cross-border transactions, loans and securities documentation, partnership agreements, registration & incorporation of businesses and companies, shareholders’ agreements, tenancies and leases.
With a niche focus on matrimonial law matters, Ms Wong’s clients comprise largely high net worth individuals with especial concerns over financial solutions and settlements, as well as expatriates with cross-jurisdictional issues.
Ms Wong is a Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, a worldwide association of practicing lawyers who are recognized by their peers as the most experienced and expert matrimonial law specialists in their respective countries.
Ms Wong deals extensively with estate & succession planning, and acts for private banking clients in structuring trusts and other mechanisms for wealth preservation. Ms Wong handles both contentious and non-contentious probate, having conducted trials involving the division of sizeable estate properties. Ms Wong is a registered practitioner of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, a leading worldwide professional body for practitioners in the fields of trusts, estates and related issues.
Ms Wong is an accredited Singapore Mediation Centre (SMC) Associate Mediator for civil and commercial disputes and an accredited Mediator on its Family Panel for family disputes and sits on the panel of SMC’s Collaborative Family Practice. She is also a Mediator on the panel of Cross-Border Family Mediators of Mediation bei Internationalen Kindschaftskonflikten (MiKK), Berlin, Germany.
From its inauguration in 2013 to 2018, Ms Wong has been honoured as part of the IFC (International Financial Centre) Power WomenTop 200 list of the most powerful women in government, private wealth, private client advisory and philanthropy across the world’s financial centres and was also included as one of a select few of Singaporean lawyers listed on the Citywealth Leaders List, the guide to leading global wealth managers and advisers who are nominated to the List by their peers. Ms Wong is listed in Citywealth’s International Powerwomen Top 100 ranking for 2019. She was also named in the Doyles Guide for Family & Divorce Lawyers from 2015 to 2020.
- Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore (1995-2020)
- Fellow, International Academy of Family Lawyers (2012–2020)
- Registered Trust and Estate Practitioner, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (2012–2020)
- Member, Business China, Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce &
- Company Secretary, Corstone Pte Ltd (2007–2020)
- Company Secretary, Corstone Management Pte Ltd (2008–2020)
- Singapore Chapter for International Comparative Legal Guide to: Family Law 2017, 2019 and 2021
- Singapore Chapter for Global Legal Insights: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2018
- Co-authored ‘Singapore Sling’ for Family Law Week, the leading UK website dedicated to family law news & Continuing Professional Development, 2017
- Contributed to a chapter in 2018 Special Edition of the Law Society’s publication The Art of Family Lawyering
- Contributed to an article titled ‘Why it pays for the wealthy to divorce in Singapore (and not Hong Kong)’ published in Trusts & Trustees, 2016
- Presented a paper on ‘The 5Cs of Child Maintenance in Singapore’ at the 30th LAWASIA Conference in September 2017 in Tokyo, Japan
- Presented a paper on ‘The 1980 Hague Convention – The Singapore Experience’at the IAFL Symposium, 7th LAWASIA Family Law & Children’s Rights Conference in June 2018 in [country]
- Presented a paper on ‘The Treatment of Trusts in Divorce‘ at the Private Client Forum Asia in December 2018 in Singapore
- Member, Law Society of Singapore (1995–2020)
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law (1995–2020)
- Co-Chairperson, Family Law Practice Committee, Law Society (2020)
- Member, Family Law Practice Committee, Law Society (2001–2019)
- Executive Editor, Singapore Journal of Legal Studies (2009–2020)
- Associate Mediator, Singapore Mediation Centre (2012–2020)
- Mediator on Family Panel, Singapore Mediation Centre (2015–2020)
- Collaborative Family Practice, Singapore Mediation Centre (2015–2020)
- Member, The Law Association for Asia and the Pacific (2016–2020)
- Counsel for Disciplinary Matters, Law Society (2017–2020)
- Member, Singapore Association of Women Lawyers (2017–2020)
- Member, Asean Law Association (2018–2020)
- Board of Governors, International Academy of Family Lawyers (2019-2020)
- Member, Editorial Sub-Committee, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (2015-2020)
- Mediator on the panel of Cross-Border Family Mediators of Mediation bei Internationalen Kindschaftskonflikten (MiKK), Berlin, Germany (2017–2020)